Hunter Johnson is CEO of The Man Cave, a preventative mental health and emotional intelligence organisation for boys and young men.
Hunter is driven by purpose and created The Man Cave in an attempt to do something meaningful about Australia’s shocking statistics around men’s mental health and suicide. He is a change agent who is fascinated by how business solutions can be used to solve social problems. He is passionate about creating safe, non-judgemental spaces where young men can take off the masks they wear each day and authentically connect with one another.
Lots of great lessons in our conversation including:-
- How a serious injury was a “get out of jail free card” in breaking free of a masculine environment.
- The importance of an unrestricted view of masculinity.
- How mobilisation of mentors for young men and boys could build community and connection.
- How self-awareness needs to be cultivated and strengthened like a muscle.
- Why a culture of judgment is so damaging and how it results in young men floating in ‘the middle’ with their masks on.
- The role of Fortnite and other games in the mental health of our young men and boys.
- How a habit of exercise helps Hunter in all areas of his life.
“We need to create the space, language, and permission to have those deeper connections?”.
“Self-awareness is the windscreen wiper to the soul”.
Blueprint components highlighted in the Episode:-
- Practice self-awareness
- Create Stuff!
- Tell you Real Story
- Be Intentional
- Build Community
- Be a Lifelong Learner
Resources + Bonus Materials
The Community and Social
Have a question? Ask Now!
You can support The Great Bloke Project by leaving a review and rating the podcast on Apple Podcasts, or where ever you listen to the show. Your support in this way really helps to spread the message.
If you’d like to be guest on the podcast, please get in contact with me.
I have limited spaces for coaching clients but if you want to work with me lets chat to see if we are the right fit for each other.
I also have some availability for guest speaking. Get in touch if you have a function or event coming up.
I am so grateful for your support. You’re worthy of working on!